- I completed the Goofy Race and a Half Challenge in January – as my first marathon! While my marathon was way slower than I would have liked I had a great time out on the course and took a ton of pictures.
- After I got home from Orlando in January I came down with bronchitis and I didn’t manage to kick it until sometime in April. Boo.
- I bought a bike in April, something that I most definitely had not been considering in the beginning of 2008.
- I could not buy a PR in the beginning of the season…with the exception of the Calgary Police 5K and the Minnie Marathon 15K in May. I tried to go sub-60:00 on a few 10Ks but came up short, and also couldn’t PR in a half marathon.
- I entered my first duathlon in May, on a total whim, just a couple of days before the event. I loved it. I was hooked on multisport events.
- After not being able to find too many duathlons to do around here I figured I’d better see if I could still remember how to swim. And then I entered my first triathlon…and I absolutely loved it. And I finally went sub 30:00 on a 5K for the first time ever.
- I ran my second marathon in Quebec City in August. Despite some wicked heat and potentially over indulging in water during the race I set a new PR.
- I joined an amazing tri team, headed by an amazing coach!
- I managed to set new PRs at the Melissa’s 10K Road Race and at the Last Chance Half, so I was able to round out 2008 with a slew of PRs in all distances!
So what’s up for next year?
- The Walt Disney World Marathon on January 11th
- CRR St. Patrick’s Day Road Race – 10K – on March 15th (this would be my third year running the race)
- Calgary Police Half Marathon on April 26th (if I can get in – since registration opens up right when I land in Orlando and it sells out quickly)
- SportCheck Mother’s Day 10K on May 11th
- Wine Capital of Canada Olympic Triathlon in Oliver, BC on May 24th (my 31st birthday)
- KGH Sprint Duathlon in Sylvan Lake, AB on May 30th
- Gericks Wasa Lake Olympic Triathlon in Cranbrook, BC on June 14th
- HBC Run for Canada 10K on July 1st
- Great White North Half Iron in Stony Plain, AB on July 5th
- Tour for Kids – three day charity bike ride July 17 to 19…maybe…hopefully
- Lake Stevens Ironman 70.3 in Lake Stevens, WA on August 16th
- Volunteering at Ironman Canada and signing up for 2010 – August 30th
- Melissa’s 10K Road Race in September (this would be my third year running the race)
- Nike Women’s Half Marathon in San Francisco, CA on October 18th – if I can get in, since this one is a lottery. If it doesn’t work out, then the Royal Victoria Half Marathon may be my backup plan on October 11th.
I’m also going to aim to find a chip timed 5K race somewhere in there. It is time to set a new official PR! And unless I change my mind, I doubt that I’ll be looking to do another full after January, at least for a little while… I’m also a little disappointed that the Strathmore Women’s Tri is moving back a weekend and it is now on August 16th. I was hoping to go back and try to see if I could move up in my age group a bit… I still have to run all of this by my coach, but this is what I’ve been thinking of anyway.
I hope you all have a wonderful new year, and I wish everyone the best for 2009. May it be filled with health and happiness for you all. I’m hoping it will be an exciting year!