Way back on April 24, 2007 I decided to take a leap and start a blog. With a newfound love for running and training for races I needed an outlet to talk about it. Blogging seemed like the perfect way to go about it. I had no idea that I would enjoy writing so much, that I would connect with so many amazing people or that I’d still be here, sharing a small piece of my life six years later. A lot has changed since then! Back then I was still fairly new to Calgary and single. In that time I met my husband, dated him, broke up, then reconnected a year and a half later to get married in July 2010. I also became an aunt! And I’ve lost count of how many races I’ve done.
To celebrate I thought I would share six things you might not know about me:
- In July I’ll have lived in Calgary for seven years. This is the longest I have ever lived in one place. This blows my mind!
I think I own a few too many Apple devices. One MacBook, 2 iPads, 1 iPod Nano, 3 iPod Shuffles and an iPhone (plus one more defunct iPhone).
- My absolute favourite board game to play is the Game of Life.
- If you had to make me pick between Star Wars and Star Trek as to which is better I’d definitely say Star Trek. But only if we are talking about The Next Generation. And on that note, I’m so sad that the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas doesn’t exist anymore.
- Every Christmas I have a series of several movies I have to watch. They are not great Hollywood works, but I love them. They are The Family Stone, The Holiday and Love Actually.
- I know how to say one phrase in Hungarian, and that is to ask if I can please have some candy. That will likely get me far if I ever go visit again!
My top six favourite posts (in no particular order):
- Great Grey Cup-Cake Off: two geeks attempt to determine which local bakery sells the best cupcakes while Canada’s biggest football game is played.
- Sports Bra Experiment: my nerdy side comes out again as I try to determine which sports bra dries the fastest – ideal in triathlon!
- A Tale of Errant Wildlife – Part 2 – Goldilocks Enters the Woods: a long run, it gets dark, and there is a bear in the area…
- Goofy Challenge Day 2 – 2009: Full Marathon: while not my fastest marathon ever, I trained so hard to execute a great Goofy Challenge and I met my goal. Such a memorable weekend and it felt amazing that my hard work payed off!
- Cascade Loop Vacation: A series of posts detailing my solo vacation on the Cascade Loop in Washington. I went on some amazing bike rides and saw some beautiful parts of Washington. I really enjoyed this solo trip and still think back fondly. I really want to go back and visit again!
- Leduc Women’s Sprint – Race Report: the time I won my age group!
To celebrate I thought I would do a little giveaway of some of my favourite things!
Up for grabs is a copy of 50/50: Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days by Dean Karnazes (this is my personal copy, so please forgive the dog ears), a selection of my favourite GU, a tube of my favourite Strawberry Lemonade nuun, and Tri-It Yankz. There may also be a little something special in there that is from Calgary..?? The last day to enter is Friday, April 26th!
PS – Congratulations to Maggie, who won the Clif Bar giveaway! Thanks to all of you who entered!