With the Last Chance Half Marathon behind me I am now ridiculously excited that my off season is here! Ever since June 2012 it feels like I’ve been training hard for one race or another (Ironman Canada, Goofy Challenge, BMO Vancouver Half Marathon and my entire host of races in 2013). I have one more race this year – the NYRR Midnight Run in Central Park on New Year’s Eve – but otherwise I’m looking forward to some time off between races!
My big goal race next year is Ironman Boulder in August. Between then and now my focus is setting myself up for a successful day in Boulder, and that includes making the most of my off season. My plans for my off season?
- Less running. Over the next little bit runs are going to be short and for fun. Later I know that speed work is going to come into play! While I really enjoyed training for the Goofy Challenge last winter I’m okay with taking a break from those cold, snowy long runs this year.
- Quality, intense bike workouts. This is the perfect time to build strength on the bike!
- Strength training. This always seems to slip during a busy summer racing schedule. I’ve made plans to meet up with a coworker at lunch for weekly strength sessions at the gym, plus I have my trusty Nike Training Club App which is perfect for short, focused strength work. Core work is key right now too!
- Pool time. My biggest issue with going to the pool is often finding the time to go. I’m making it a priority to go twice a week now. I’m making sure a meal has been planned that is either in the crock pot and ready when I get home, or is something easy for Neil to throw together. Right now the focus is on drills in the pool so I can focus on what my body should be doing to swim effectively.
- Meal planning. Not only am I planning our weekly dinners out I’m making sure to plan lunches too. This way I’m making sure every meal is healthy and I’m able to control portion sizes. So far so good!
- Holiday Bootie Buster Challenge. Amanda at Run to the Finish is holding her annual Holiday Bootie Buster Challenge again! This will provide a bit of extra motivation for me to get my off season workouts in. This year Amanda is upping her game and including the option for clean and lean eating tips and even an 8 week training plan if you need an extra boost. Registration for this year closes on Friday and the challenge runs November 17 – January 5. Want to encourage each other through the Holiday Bootie Buster Challenge? Sign up now and be sure to tell Amanda that I sent you!
What are your plans for your off season?