I’ve been nominated for a Liebster Award…twice!
How does it work? Your nominator asks you a series of questions, you answer and then you nominate other folks and give them a set of questions to ask. First up, Kris’ questions:
- What is your favourite distance to run? I think my favourite race distance is a half marathon. It is just long enough to give you a great amount of challenge, but it isn’t quite the go all out, puke at the end type of race like a 5K or 10K.
- If you could run a race anywhere in the world where would it be? I really want to run the Marathon du Medoc one day! This year my friend and teammate (and Peat’s vet) Nola is running it, and I can’t wait to hear all about it! Who wouldn’t want to run through 59 vineyards in France, sipping wine along the way?
- Who is your biggest fitness inspiration? My three training friends Tara, Kelly and Shannon are my biggest fitness role models! All three of them balance a career, a personal life and Ironman training. They are all so dedicated and they help to inspire me when I don’t want to get up off the couch. I’m very lucky to call them friends!
- Ten years ago today, what would be the "most played song" on your iPod? Back then I seem to remember blaring a lot of Maroon 5 in my car.
- What is your favourite restaurant? Neil and I have two favourite restaurants in Calgary - Model Milk and CHARCUT. At Model Milk the food is innovative with bold flavours. CHARCUT is basically like your favourite comfort foods stepped up a notch. The one thing I can say about both of these restaurants is that the service is always fantastic and that helps to keep us coming back time and time again!
- What is the best advice you could give someone who is just starting to get into fitness? Set small, attainable goals for yourself. If you start off thinking big (I’m going to run a marathon but I haven’t run 5K yet) you may get discouraged when the going gets tough and quit. Reaching smaller goals helps to give you motivation to keep going.
- Favourite dessert? My mom’s carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.
- What is one piece of technology you just CANNOT live without? My Garmin!
- What is your favourite TV show? I am a big Top Chef fan! It doesn’t matter if it is the US or Canadian version, I will watch them all, and watch the old series repeatedly.
- What made you decide to start blogging? I really wanted to be able to talk about my running journey with people, but I didn’t necessarily want to talk my friends’ ears off. Blogging helped to give me that outlet.
And now for Lisa’s questions!
- How did you choose your blog name? My blog name, Runner Leana, is not very original! I liked the idea of labelling myself as a runner when I started my blog as that was an identity I wanted to forge for myself. I thought about changing my blog name to Triathlete Leana when I discovered triathlon, but Runner Leana still felt the best.
- What is your favorite thing to write about? It has nothing to do with running, but I love writing about the hikes we do. Living so close to the Rocky Mountains feels like such a blessing and I love to share pictures of the amazing part of the world I live in.
- Why did you start blogging? See above! :)
- What kind of workout makes you feel the best after it is all over? When I nail my speed work! It feels like biggest challenge to run, but when you hit your paces the feeling is amazing!
- What has been your proudest racing memory/moment? Oh my gosh…so many! I think it is a tie between crossing the finish line of my first half Ironman in 2009 and finishing the Goofy Challenge in 2013. There was something about training so hard to reach a goal and succeeding that cements these two races in my memory.
- Why did you start running/triathlons? I was a terrible runner as a kid and I absolutely hated it. I decided to try running as an adult to see if I could do better…to challenge myself. I think if you were to tell 10 year old me that I would run marathons some day I would look at you like you were crazy!
- What is your “A” race or biggest fitness goal for 2014? Ironman Boulder on August 3, 2014!!
- Name 5 songs on your iPod? David Guetta & Usher - Without You, Neon Trees - Sleeping with a Friend, Walk the Moon - Anna Sun, Phillip Phillips - Gone, Gone, Gone, Flo Rida - Let It Roll.
- What is your favorite race and why? I love the Disney Marathon. I’m not sure why, but it keeps sucking me back in. I love running through the parks, I love to see the characters out and to see my fellow runners dressed in amazing costumes. Plus the race always makes for a fun family vacation too!
- If you could give your 16-year old self a piece of advice, what would it be? That guy that you think is so awesome right now will wind up having six kids with a few different women. You’ll meet someone better.
I’m going to nominate:
My questions for you are:
- What is one piece of gear you own (not shoe or technology related) that you wear all the time?
- Do you wear different shoes for different workouts, or do you wear the same shoes all the time?
- What is your favourite post workout snack?
- Do you listen to music when you run? Why or why not?
- Do you prefer to run in a loop or run an out and back?
- Why do you blog?
- What is your number one goal for this year?
- Tell me about your favourite race medal.
- What motivates you to get outside and train on cold/snowy/rainy days?
- What is your most memorable run?