Way back on April 24, 2007 I decided to take a leap and start a blog. With a newfound love for running and training for races I needed an outlet to talk about it. Blogging seemed like the perfect way to go about it. I had no idea that I would enjoy writing so much, that I would connect with so many amazing people or that I’d still be here, sharing a small piece of my life six years later. A lot has changed since then! Back then I was still fairly new to Calgary and single. In that time I met my husband, dated him, broke up, then reconnected a year and a half later to get married in July 2010. I also became an aunt! And I’ve lost count of how many races I’ve done.
To celebrate I thought I would share six things you might not know about me:
- In July I’ll have lived in Calgary for seven years. This is the longest I have ever lived in one place. This blows my mind!
I think I own a few too many Apple devices. One MacBook, 2 iPads, 1 iPod Nano, 3 iPod Shuffles and an iPhone (plus one more defunct iPhone).
- My absolute favourite board game to play is the Game of Life.
- If you had to make me pick between Star Wars and Star Trek as to which is better I’d definitely say Star Trek. But only if we are talking about The Next Generation. And on that note, I’m so sad that the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas doesn’t exist anymore.
- Every Christmas I have a series of several movies I have to watch. They are not great Hollywood works, but I love them. They are The Family Stone, The Holiday and Love Actually.
- I know how to say one phrase in Hungarian, and that is to ask if I can please have some candy. That will likely get me far if I ever go visit again!
My top six favourite posts (in no particular order):
- Great Grey Cup-Cake Off: two geeks attempt to determine which local bakery sells the best cupcakes while Canada’s biggest football game is played.
- Sports Bra Experiment: my nerdy side comes out again as I try to determine which sports bra dries the fastest – ideal in triathlon!
- A Tale of Errant Wildlife – Part 2 – Goldilocks Enters the Woods: a long run, it gets dark, and there is a bear in the area…
- Goofy Challenge Day 2 – 2009: Full Marathon: while not my fastest marathon ever, I trained so hard to execute a great Goofy Challenge and I met my goal. Such a memorable weekend and it felt amazing that my hard work payed off!
- Cascade Loop Vacation: A series of posts detailing my solo vacation on the Cascade Loop in Washington. I went on some amazing bike rides and saw some beautiful parts of Washington. I really enjoyed this solo trip and still think back fondly. I really want to go back and visit again!
- Leduc Women’s Sprint – Race Report: the time I won my age group!
To celebrate I thought I would do a little giveaway of some of my favourite things!
Up for grabs is a copy of 50/50: Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days by Dean Karnazes (this is my personal copy, so please forgive the dog ears), a selection of my favourite GU, a tube of my favourite Strawberry Lemonade nuun, and Tri-It Yankz. There may also be a little something special in there that is from Calgary..?? The last day to enter is Friday, April 26th!
PS – Congratulations to Maggie, who won the Clif Bar giveaway! Thanks to all of you who entered!
Nikki Scott says
Happy 6 years! And thanks for the great giveaway! Sure hope I win! (PS where did you get that cool ipad case?)
Runner Leana says
I built a custom Dodo case! http://www.dodocase.com/pages/customizer
Absolutely love it too.
I’m going to go look at the Cascade Loop post. But I was wondering……..do you have stock in Apple?
Runner Leana says
No, but maybe I should! 🙂
I have been reading for a while – I don’t remember when I first found it but I think it was at least two years ago and I remember you were training for the ironman. Happy 6 years!
Happy blogoversary! Not sure how long I’ve been reading, but I’ve enjoyed it all, even the crafty wedding stuff when I’m not the least bit crafty. Hope there are many more blogs in the pipeline! (Lol, industry joke.)
Loving Lee says
I haven’t been reading for very long. But I followed you on Weddingbee. I don’t do much running but I have a friend who runs and will run her 2nd marathon in July for American Cancer Society Team in Training and I would love to win this for her!
SUMMER PLEWES says
I actually found it hunting for running giveaways. I have just started getting really addicted to exercise and running so I am on the hunt 🙂
I’ve been reading for a few months. I can’t remember how I found your blog though. Probably through someone else’s blogroll when I was looking for running blogs. lol.
Congratulations on 6 years!! I love reading all your training ramblings!
Cori @ Read.Write.Run.Mom says
Cori @ Read.Write.Run.Mom says
(I think I’ve been reading for a couple of years…just very quietly…until Goofy 😉 )
Happy Happy! I’m so glad I started following you over from the ‘Bee. I love the snowy running pics the best 🙂
I found your blog on twitter. Nikki Scott retweeted your giveaway
WOOT! 6 years flies!! I found you from @khourianya or was it @ndscottnygre (who I found from CEP and Cori!)….funny how small the twitter circle is…Can’t wait til we ACTUALLY MEET!!
Erica Malerby says
Happy Blogversary! I found your blog about a year ago when I first started running in local races. Thanks for sharing your experiences, triumphs and lessons learned.
I don’t actually remember how I found your site or how long I’ve been reading…I think before your first Ironman though?
I can’t believe you’ve been blogging for six years! Keep up the good work, girl! I found you through the one and only WB, of course 🙂
Happy blogiversary! Six years? I am impressed! I found you through the ‘bee! 😉
floating bridge says
I am a new reader! I found you through the blog Slow is the new fast
I found you through Heather and Kristen, but love to read your experiences… your energy is impressive!
I came across your page a few years ago looking up races in Calgary!
Solana Leigh says
Ummmm I think through Nikki? Or Cori? I don’t remember…
Happy six years! I’m pretty sure I’ve been following for most of that time, if not necessarily commenting.
Happy six years!! I have absolutely no idea how I found your blog but yours was definitely one of the very first blogs I read. Possibly I googled something about Disney races?? Thinking I started reading in 2008 shortly before I started my blog.
I first found your blog when I did a google search for “Cochrane triathlons”. I came up with a race report for the aquathon that used to be done here. That was when I first was getting into triathlon, so probably around May of 2010.
And Happy Blogoversary!
Happy 6 Year Anniversary! Great blog!
AK Stout says
Twitter brought me here:-)
Wow! 6 years! I found you this past year, a few months before your most recent Goofy challenge. Plus, I got to hang out with you in the corrals at the Goofy challenge. Bonus points! 😀
Happy belated anniversary dear Leana! 6 years! Who knew we’d be at it this long. (Though I think I’m just 5…) love that iPad cover!