My 20th and final race of 2013 is tomorrow. I go into this race feeling very nervous and with a ton of emotions whirling around inside. I had hoped that in 2013 I would rediscover some of my old speed from 2010 and earlier. After I gained a significant amount of weight in 2011 those times and paces I was running before have felt very out of reach. Progress this year has felt very slow and I haven’t hit my goals in my big races this year. While I’m proud of the hard work I’ve put in this year I’ve felt frustrated that the work hasn’t really shown. I’m still struggling to lose the weight I gained.
That being said I know I am a much better and fitter runner than when I ran the Last Chance Half last year and finished in 2:37:40. Here’s what I’m nervous about tomorrow:
The weather. It has been a long time since I’ve run in negative double digit temperatures.
- The pathway conditions. 1 cm of snow isn’t that much…so I’m hoping that it isn’t too slick and icy out there tomorrow!
Here’s what I can control tomorrow:
- What I wear. I trained for the Goofy Challenge in temperatures like this. I have plenty of gear to keep me warm tomorrow.
- My pacing. I’ve thought a lot about the course, where the winds may be coming from, the slight changes in elevation. I have a plan to make sure that I don’t start out too fast. Regardless of what happens with the wind I will use it as my motivation to either push through a headwind or to sail home with a tail wind.
- My nutrition. I’ve been taking gels every 40 minutes in training and I need to keep up with that during the race tomorrow!
- My hydration. I’ll be running with my hydration belt and Nuun in my water bottle. This way I can drink on my own schedule instead of relying on the water stops.
- My head space. My two trigger words are “focus” and “believe.” They will be the words I use to keep positive and keep my head in the game.
Are you running a last chance half marathon this winter?